Dec 5, 2011

Next In Show [Interview] with INDIA artist ANKUR "ENKORE" JOHAR [Exclusive]

Our 1st International Artist to be featured.
Ankur "Enkore" Johar

from Mumbai, India, he's nice

What were your hobbies growing up?

I was just your every day kid. I enjoyed hanging with my friends, playing sports and always had an interest in language, poetry and music, you know.. Nothing great as such.. My love for music has kept growing over the years. I've always been big on sports too.

Any family involved with music?

Nope. My dad's just a music enthusiast/collector and that's it.. He loves Blues music of years gone by.. Other than that, the closest I come is a cousin who plays bass for an amateur band so ummm yeah.. Haha

Who inspires you?

Man.. Ummm.. If you were to ask me 'what' my inspiration was, it'd be plain and simple one word - life. But as for who inspires me.. Well.. The first name that strikes me is my Grandfather.. Spiritual, strong and able, at 80. Other than that, just generally people who try to help and/or uplift society or their fellow man in whatever way they can, with no selfish motives. As well as musicians and authors.


What music motivates you to make music?
Ahh.. Well.. I almost tend to have phases.. Sometimes it's timeless music that inspires me to make music that will reach that next level and you know, never get old.. And sometimes its just straight raw spitting! I'm a fan of all genres.. As long as the music is good that's all I care about.. In terms of rap, artists that motivate and inspire me range from Crooked I, Joell Ortiz, Joe Budden, Blu, Classified Muneshine, Jay Elec, Gang Starr, Common, Rakim and Saigon to Kanye West, J. Cole, Jay-Z, Drake, Game, Eminem.. Loads of artistes, but I should stop now cuz I might just go overboard (if I haven't already haha!)

Have you been to the states?

Nope! I haven't ever been there. I hope to some time soon though. It seems like a wonderful place and everyone I know who's been there says the same!

What is the music scene like out there in India?

The music scene here is pretty much determined by our film industry, viz. Bollywood. Whatever's the hottest new thing in the movies is what's gonna fetch you the dough. And while underground music, especially rock and off late hip-hop, are slowly but steadily taking strides, it's still a huge risk financially to pool all your resources and time into music if it's not for Bollywood.

Where do you record?
Well, I have a tie-up with a couple of studios, the closest being about 10 km from where I live. And so I get to use the facilities there for a comparatively cheaper rate than elsewhere here in Mumbai. The average rate here is around $40 per hour. I'm saving up right now and will hopefully invest in setting up a home studio soon.


What was the last show you performed?
The last show I performed was at this college fest.. 3 weeks back. I'm part of a crew called Munky Rhymz so it was my only crew mate - D'evil - and me. It was pretty dope as we tend to perform stuff that all kinds of listeners will enjoy at one point or another and here the audience seemed more receptive than usual so it was great. Also got to distribute nearly 40 copies of my mixtape This Is Me and have already got some pretty amazing feedback about the show and mixtape both!


You mention a mixtape? Tell us more about it
Yeah, well, This Is Me was my first mixtape. I released it a few months back but never really promoted it much as I was trying to focus on my academics immediately after completing it. But anyway, whoever's heard it has really really liked it and it's a blessing. It feels great to get the kind of feedback I've been getting for This Is Me, especially considering the hurry I finished it in and the sudden-ness with which the whole thing came about. Feels great.

Thank You

Regards,
Ankur 'Enkore' Johar




Enkore - Indians in Paris

0 comments:

Post a Comment