Dec 1, 2011

Exclusive Interview With Underground Hip Hop Veteran From Los Angeles 'Gajah'


The LA based rhyme slayer has been around the block and continues to put out good savage music for his fans. One half of the group Acid Reign, Gajah recently put out a collabo album with Seattle-based MC Graves33. The mixtape is called Two-Headed Dragon. Download the album below. The album is full of hot break beats and atomic verses, but most of all the lyrical local legend Gajah.



Gajah, he's nice

 When did you first know that you wanted to be a lyricist?

When I was in the 8th grade. I started writing raps here and there, testing myself to see if I had it in me. The more I wrote, the more It felt natural so I kept on developing my skill. 

Did you ever get hassled for being white and rapping?

No, fortunately. I became part of the Project Blowed movement where it was a little tougher for a non-black MC to get shine, but talent was recognized so therefore race or complexion wasn't really a factor. I'm not Caucasian, I'm a mixed mutt if you will, (Puerto Rican, Mexican & Italian) but I could see how people would assume that I'm white.

Your flow is very unique. Who If anyone do you consider yourself similar to?

I tend to spit at a rapid pace which is a trademark of the mid 90's Project Blowed style prowess. You could say I'm comparable to influential giants such as Freestyle Fellowship, Abstract Rude, Hip Hop Kclan, & CVE who were and still are my mentors til today. Other similar influences are Organized Konfusion, LONS, Ultramagnetiic MC's & Big Daddy Kane. I've always been fond of word play, word chops and all out experimentation through lyricism. As I progressed I learned how to convey a relative message with the use of these methods and develop my own personal rhyme style.

How long does it take you to write a rap?

It depends, it ranges anywhere from one day to 3 months. I could begin a verse and get eight bars into it, get stuck and not come back to it til I'm in the mood, other times I'll be sitting in the lab smoking a joint and the words will pour out like water. I find it easier to work on multiple verses at a time, this allows me to  complete songs faster. I use an unconventional approach, I don't write on paper til the song is completely pieced together in my head. 

What do you like best about doing live shows?

I aim to shock and awe the crowd and give them something that the last or next act can't or couldn't. The amount of energy that people channel is enormous, I feed off of it and It takes my showcase to the next level, super saiyan style. Overall, I love to see that frozen look in the gazers eyes when I lock them in for the mind kill.

What interests you outside of music?

Really, just hanging out with my friends and family and having good conversation, watching movies, sipping wine with some good laughs. My life is pretty basic, I don't sky dive or horse-back ride. I like to game a bit, go to Museums and concerts occasionally.

Do you prefer rapping in a group, such as your crew Acid Reign, or keep to yourself with a solo career?

I'm equally devoted to my group and my own stuff but the no compromise feeling of doing solo work is quite grand! What's good about Acid Reign is that me and BeOND are like twin brothers who think alike, we have no conflicts when it comes down to the creative process. We tend to agree with each other ideas most often. 

You have been a part of the underground scene for a while. When did you actually start getting respect from fans/other artists?

We got respect at Project Blowed by the OG's in the pre-millenium which had a trickle-effect on the fans in LA and the growing fan base out of state and overseas. To this day, our name has circulated world wide and we are recognized but still not respected like we should be I believe.  To be honest. respect really has no meaning any more. We are in the age of over night success acts and gimmick whores.

Are you currently signed to any label at this time?

I have a deal with Tokyo Dawn records out of Munich, Germany for an LP to be released sometime in 2012. I prefer to sign one album deals now and days and that's only if the label can provide what our own label can't. Both myself and Acid Reign have released projects on Alpha Pup Records, Uncommon Records, Briefcase Rockers, Festen & Nomadic Sound System and we've also collaborated with many other taste makers around the globe.

What music motivates/influences you to create music of your own?

A lot of 60's & early 70's prog/syche rock, free Jazz, various forms of electronic music and pretty much anything bizzarre or spine tingling. 

What can we look forward to from Gajah?

Look forward to my upcoming LP, Poverty's Prodigy dropping early 2012 on our label, Acid Lab Records. Also, a compilation at the end of this year featuring all Acid Lab artists (Acid Reign, BeOND & Gajah, Express Fresh & Damien Rodriguez, the fore-mentioned Tokyo Dawn release and a project with UK producer Awkward.

I know you have children. What advice would you give to them that could help in achieving their goals in the future?

Work hard, keep your eye on the prize and don't let anyone or anything get in your way, you're unstoppable!





Your awesome for doing this interview. Thank You and look forward to working with you again soon.







0 comments:

Post a Comment