Jan 4, 2012

Adam Reverie x Next In Show Exclusive


Detroit born and bred, Adam Reverie is a product of his environment. Home of Motown Records, his music relates to the r&b classics because of his live instrument sounds and technique. Infused with hip-hop, Reverie is the perfect combination of soul and hip hop. 
Check out his latest mixtape Love The Way I See It

When did music first enter your life? My mom always tells me this story of how she used to sit by her stereo speakers and rub her belly praying that I'd have a musical gifting before I ever entered this world. So I guess music entered my life when I was in my mother's womb... her artists of choice were Force MD's & Ready For The World.




You're from Detroit, home of Motown. How does living there inspire your music? Well I'm from Detroit and have since moved outside of the city, but to answer the question our musical history is a very storied one but not one that is greatly told in our own city limits if that makes sense it's almost a hidden treasure those stories are. The lifestyle though is very vivid when you come here and that is a people with million dollar dreams yet we have nickle and dime thoughts do to a lack of resources,a very strong lust for material things and many dreams deferred...I love my city so much I do,but it's the truth . Outsiders love to argue about which city has the greatest atrocity and deem that city quote on quote real, but we know better we want the finer things in life just as everyone else has and so the chase for those things and not having the resources to get them lead to a lot of heartache and pain...my music tells those stories of the segregation line between blacks and whites better known as 8mile and a constant search for peace,love and acceptance not only from the world but amongst ourselves.




Talk about your career so far. 1Positive/1negative experience. It's been a very promising journey thus far especially when you consider the fact that I'm doing everything from the artwork to the singing and promoting on my own. The only thing I haven't done is produce my own beats. So when you think about those things then you have to look up to God and say thank you for all the blessings you're sending and know that you're blessed because there are people who have been doing this way longer than me and haven't covered the grounds that I have in such a short time. I think a positive experience was when I opened for Three-6 Mafia a while back and these Chic's started flashing me I almost forgot my damn lyrics,but I held it together that was definitely a positive experience both the show and those boobies (laughs). A negative experience is one I experience everyday which is the blog grind. People don't know the work that's put in as a independent artist trying to be heard. It's tough sitting at a computer sending emails to sites and because you're not a familiar name to them they overlook you, but it's all a big test in order to have a great testimony.




This past year you won a Def Jam showcase. How has your life changed after that? You Know that was very big because Lenny S. (President of A&R at Def Jam) looked me right in my face after my performance in Cleveland and said you got it. That meant the world to me just for the simple fact the record I performed wasn't a very lyrical record although extremely catchy and the fact that he helped build  Roc-a-Fella Records from the ground up with Jay-z so obviously he has a keen ear to what sounds good. Nothing came out of that  unfortunately because I was at the time on a label or so I thought, but that's another story in it's self. Yet and still I am happy that he and another gentleman by the name of Anthony "Scoe" Walker  took notice of my talents so blessings to them I'm sure we'll meet again on better terms.




Love The Way I See It is your debut album. What inspired you to create this project? Yeah it's actually a mixtape, but I did approach it like a narrative album my inspiration for this project was life, we often say life is love so I just wanted to show people what love or life was like through my eyes.  I also believe Hip-Hop to be one of the most judgemental genres of music so I  wanted to make something for all people and touch on as many aspects of love and life as I could within 16 songs without losing the main ingredients of Hip-Hop which are lyrics, but also write about topics not usually confronted or expressed in the light in which I did them in "Love The Way I See It".




What music are you listening to right now on your iPod? Man y'all tryna get me to give away my secrets huh ? Umm... Common's "The Dreamer The Believer", but I don't listen to it like everyone else does I re-ordered his track listing  because I didn't feel like the way he ordered the songs was cohesive and took away from the overall feel of a really good album when re-ordered.  Rev's "The Dreamer Believer" Track listing (Laughs): 1,8,2,9,6,4,7,3,5,10,11,12 listen to and make a play list in that order and I promise it'll give you a different feel and appreciation for the project...you're probably thinking I'm nuts but they say it's a thin line between genius and insanity maybe I'm flirting with it... just maybe (laughs).




What goals have you set for yourself for 2012? 2012 twelve is going to be the year I garner national attention. I'm going to continue to push "Love The Way I See It" up until the Summer and try to get on as many sites,blogs and magazines that one man by himself can get on (laughs) so by this time next year people will have read this like hey that man said he was going to do it and he did. So 2012 is the year of national recognition for me.




What can we expect from you this year? Well I'm currently working on my next project "Detroit Loved us Detroit Hurt us" it's another concept project and even more personal than "Love The Way I See It" it talks a lot about the Detroit culture and mindset we all have experienced growing up in the city. It's going to be a special body of work I'm really excited about it!




What is one piece of advice you can give to aspiring musicians entering this "game"? Remember you're a recording artist so be creative, be expressive,be honest give the world you... people are really receptive to that. Don't get caught up in the whole staying true to Hip-Hop thing to the point you just want to stay underground forever because I believe that's such a selfish act. Your music could be the soundtrack to someone Else's life, but because you put yourself in this box your message will never reach them. Hip-Hop has been said to have saved many lives so let your voice be heard to the masses to save many others. Not even Harriet Tubman stayed underground,but how she moved the people is how she became renowned.

Thanks for your time. Stay Humbled. #nextinshow



1 comments:

@VanilaCindarela

Just wanna say i truly loved this interview and agree strongly with every thing this creative mind has to offer. This is the FIRST mixtape i ever downloaded, heard and loved every bit of it. I believe in Adam and see greatness in his future.

Good Luck Kiddo :)

Post a Comment