Nov 8, 2011

Get Familiar With Ryshon Jones - Next In Show Exclusive



Hip Hop is in a beautiful state of mind at the moment. Beats of a next generation, superstars coming together and bringing quality music, and lyrics & rhymes are getting deeper again. Ryshon Jones defines these things. His mixtape She's Leaving For College is a classic in itself, but now with the release of the Friday EP, he has taken this shit to the next level. This guy is on the unofficial XXL Freshman 10 list for sure. Now @ihate_chris and #nextinshow bring you an exclusive interview Ryshon Jones. It get's deep. Read on...

NextInShow x Ryshon Jones


When did you first start rapping? 

It all started the day my cousin stole this beat tape out of this car and found a tape recorder. I had no idea what I was doing.

How many mixtapes have you released and which is your favorite? 

I released 9 mixtapes since 2007. My favorite would have to be MINIMUM WAGE. I did it around a tough part in my life. I had just graduated. My step dad promised to take me to NY in hopes to get me signed, but he never took me. I was workin and got fired, I was broke, stole money from my dad and fell in love with a girl who jus wanted to be friends. It all just built up in one I couldnt look myself in the mirror during that time in my life because I didnt know what I was doing with my life.

Your from Philadelphia. Describe your hometown? 

My hometown is everything, I love it and I hate it.The crime makes me sick. Somedays I turn on the news and see people I went to school with either killed or killing someone. There's good here though, the best part i'd say to me is downtown. Just the feeling the people. When you take away all the flashmobs and the crime Philly is great.

What music did you listen to growing up? 

It was R&B. As a child I'd just listen to what my mom played on the radio. The first album I ever listened to was DMX Its Dark & Hell is Hot.I loved it. It just amped me up as a kid. I listened to Biggie as well just coming up. I would just listen to what was in front of me or whatever my parents played.

What music do you have playing on your iPod right now? 



I listen to alot of Coldplay.I listen to alot of beats as well,Kendrick Lamar,Sigur Ros, Kanye West,Jeezy,Rick Ross,Wale just to name a few.


What was the last song you listened to?

The last song I heard was my own "HomeLessManHunger".

What is a typical studio session for you? (Is it a party or all business?) 

I record at home,. My recording process is weird. I dont usually write lyrics down, it's hard for me to sit and write lyrics down since I record at home. If I write lyrics, I have to be on the train, or the bus, or somewhere that isn't my home. Other than that, I just keep notes here and there and just put them together before I record.I just have to be on the move and pace around.

What is Babylon Cartel? 

Its a clothing line in Philly ran by Gianni Lee. Their making major moves in the city, and I have alot of respect for Gianni Lee for helping me out on the strength and just wanting to see me win. Look out for Babylon Cartel. Big things coming...

Are you getting ready to sign to a major label? 

NO SIR!

I saw a tweet you posted the other day about the XXL Top 10 Freshman. Who do you think they are for 2012? 

I'd say Casey Veggies,Dom Kennedy,Phil A De,Stalley,Asap Rocky,Machine Gun Kelly,School Boy Q,Gilbere Forte.. That's all I can think of right now.

Your newest release Friday EP, is like a rework of The Weeknds
Thursday mixtape. What inspired you to make that? 


Well when Thursday dropped, I thought of doing the Friday mixtape instantly.Then I was talking to Gianni Lee and he was playing The Weeknd and said I should do it and it was crazy because I already thought of it. So I let the idea sit and then I took a day off from work and knocked it out. The songs on there are very true even all the skits. The skits are real, some acted out, but real situations. It's apart of my Shes Leaving For College mixtape I dropped in October of 2010. Pt 2 to Shes Leaving For College will be out next year.

The mixtape as a whole tells a story about the relationship between you and a girl. Could you explain that story? 

It's basically; I left my girlfriend, went looking for someone to keep me company. My best friend came on to me I used her,she became clingy and I killed her. I was going crazy at the time,and basically I realized I broke up with the girl I love for the wrong reasons.



How did you get into The Weeknd? Have you met him? 

When I first got posted on 2dopeboyz people compared me to him.I never heard of him at the time,I thought he was a rapper.When I first heard his music it didnt catch me.Then one day I sat down and really took it end,and when makn the EP I listened to him for about a week straight.I fell in love with his music,and I felt like hes like the R&B me.I almost pulled the plug on the EP just from my new found love and respect for him.I never met him nor do I think he heard the EP.


What is the story behind your upcomingmixtape Brightest Nights, Darkest Days? 



The meaning is, Your days are dark because your awake and you see the harsh reality your in,your nights are bright because when you sleep you cant feel any pain.

I saw the visual for Homeless Man Hunger. It's super raw. Was the concept your own idea? 

Yes I had it in my head for a while finally got it out, Mark Goodlife added some tweaks to it as well. Dope Director.



What is next for you and your career? 

Getting Brightest Nights, Darkest Days out.

Are you touring right now? 

I wish man ,I wish.

Do you enjoy rapper life?


Somewhat, working at my job really takes alot out of me. It hurts my creativity because I'm always exhausted. Other than that im happy to have my music on the platform I been trying to get on for years. With being on the blogs and just twitter, seeing people tweet about falling asleep listening to me. People telling me how my music keeps them sane. Meeting new people, becoming close to people I already know and etc.

I saw the clip of the woman who was flashing you at one of your shows. Did you link up with her after the show?

No I didnt,I gave her her glasses back,and I bounced.

Is family important to you? 


Yes...but sometimes it is what it is.


Are you an only child?



I have 2sisters


What do they think of you as a rapper? 

It was hard to convince them. I was shy they saw it as something that would fade. I can honestly say I been proving them wrong lately. My mom and my dad were against it strongly and wanted me to go to school.I never heard my mom say she's proud of me...never ever, until the day she saw me in the XXL magazine.It meant something to me. It's something I'll never forget. She told me she's never seen me work this hard for something before.


What in your opinion is the key to success? 


I dont think there's an actual KEY to success. I think success is like life; It's what you make it.I haven't really made money off my music yet, but I had someone write me telling me how my music helps him feel closer to a friend he lost due to drugs.I had someone tell me my music keeps him from popping pills and that its a humanity high. All of that is a success to me because that shit is way bigger then money and fame.To know that im literally having an effect on people is a success to me. If I'm not working anymore and I'm touring making a little bit of money, drop an album and it flops, but yet I still have a core fanbase, thats a success to me.



Thanks for your time bro. You are definitely next in show for 2012. 





@ryshon215 Interviewed by  @ihate_chris

0 comments:

Post a Comment