Feb 22, 2012

Next In Show Presents An Interview With: Dom O Briggs


Dom O Briggs is an artist, herbalist with a brooklyn state of mind. He is bringing his show to the big leagues with his newest visual, 20 Years, off A Gemini's Tale. Check out our exclusive interview with the artist where he talks about inspirations, the sounds of music and dream collabos. It gets real.





Dom OBriggs Interview

You represent Brooklyn, buthave you lived there your whole life?

Nah. I was born in Baltimore, Maryland. Leftat age 3 and moved to Brooklyn. I used to live in South Jersey too. Bout 30minutes from Philly. I been in Brooklyn for most of my life though.

Growing up, what music didyou listen to?

I listened to a lot Gospel. I was raised inchurch. Other than that, I listened to whatever my mother, father or the radioplayed. I went to sleep listening to the radio. My mother listened to Mary J,Faith, Lauryn Hill, D'Angelo, Erykah Badu...things of that nature. My popslistened to Biggie, Tupac, New Edition, Big Pun, Big L, early Bad Boy stuff,etc.. Then, Musiq Soulchild became my favorite artist. He still is. I got thebest of both worlds though.

You’re a unique rapper with alot of talent. Does being creative run in your family?
                                                                                                                                       
Thanks. I appreciate that. My mother and auntwere in the choir, I have uncles and cousin who are drummers, pianist andsingers.

Who in your opinion are theleaders of the new school at the moment?

I feel that the leaders of the new school iseveryone that is on their grind right. Who ever is in the studio, or writing orat a show or doing anything art related right now.

You just participated in anevent called the Start It Up Benefit Concert. Explain your involvement?

Haha. Crazy thing is, I missed it. I had tohandle some family business. I performed at the first one though. SamanthaAlexandra. She is a talented singer and a person with a vision I believe in.She is the reason I am apart of it.

You consider yourself anherbalist. How are the herbs on the east coast?

Indeed I am. The botany department in New Yorkis pretty good. Nothing like Cali grown though.

Have you smoked CaliforniaKush?

Yes I have. Its amazing. The dro too. I needto get back out there! Hahaha

Why did you choose DopeNDoper from your upcoming EP as your firstsingle?

It was just a spur of the moment thing. It wasone of the only songs I had recorded for the project at the time. I wanted todrop something to let people know I was working.

Always Inspire(d) EP iscoming March 25, 2012. The title is perfect. Where did it come from?

Its one of my tattoo. I got the tattoo andthought that it would be a good title for my next project.

Is it a concept EP?

Its just a way of lie. Its the way I live.Everything is inspiration. EVERYTHING. In your actions, in other peoplesactions, In things you say, In things other people say...all of it. Me being anartist, everything inspires me. I have a double role as an artists and a fanthough. Other peoples art inspires me and I inspire people with my art. That'sjust how life goes.

Do you think your debutproject, The Sounds Of Music, got the recognition it deserved?

I think it was what it was. I was stillgetting my feet wet with recording and "finding my voice" so tospeak. Plus, I was still fairly new to the music scene or whatever so I didn'ttrip.

If you could work withanybody right now, who would it be?

Mint Condition and Terrace Martin. That wouldbe the sickest collab.

Last May you released AGemini’s Tale. Can we expect anything more from that project?

Nothing too fancy. A couple videos. Video forSuppose To, Gemini Swag, Urkel Musik and whatever else we shoot.  I justgo with the flow.

Next month I hear you will beplaying a show with buzzworthy artist, Emilio Rojas. Did you collaborate on atrack?

Nah,I haven't got the chance to work with him. I met him at DealWithNoDeal (radioshow) but that was that. I respect him and his music though.

Name someone of somethingthat has influenced you your whole life?

 Music. It was the only thing that couldn't gowrong.


Thanks for your time Dom O.  You are next in show. Success isinevitable.

Thank You. I appreciate this opportunity. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment