Aug 18, 2011

The Weeknd Releases "Thursday" on Thursday - Album Review





The Weeknd Thursday by the weeknd thursday


The most known unknown artist out right now, would have to be Abel Tesfaye aka TheWeeknd. We first heard of him when he mysteriously released his debut album "House of Balloons". Big supporter and friend, Drake, has been promoting his music since day one. There is a lot of influence and similarities between the two. About an hour ago he released his much-anticipated follow up project, “THURSDAY". Personally I feel this album is just as hot, if not better than his debut. Make sure to listen from front to back. 




I have found 2 Kanye West samples on the album already. I spotted one on the introduction to the album on the track called, "Lonely Star". He sampled 'Robocop' from the album '808's & Heartbreaks. This track is set up perfect as the first song. He discusses fame, while telling the girl that she can have it all and be a star. He is in fact referring to himself as the lonely star.  Another sample was found on the song 'Life of the Party,’ which happens to be the second track. The sample is from Kanye’s latest single, ‘Monster’. The picks from the guitar are chopped up to create a hypnotic reggae sound.








'The Zone' has to be the hottest track on the album in my opinion, with a guest appearance from Drake towards the end of the song. “Make sure you’re a Thursday, not on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, but on Thursday,” goes the chorus tripping over a slow tempo, Much like the songs from his debut album House of Balloons. The next two tracks come as a 2-parter. The Birds PT. 1’ could definitely be a radio single. A catchy tune, anyone who has been in a relationship can relate to this song. “Don’t make me make you fall in love”, explains the feeling of meeting someone new at the beginning of a relationship, after your last didn’t work out and you’re trying not to fall in love. Part 2’ continues warning before getting into a relationship, but more down tempo. The song starts off with a girl crying heavily, while loading a gun. The sound of a gunshot replaces the first hit of the kick drum. pretty deep audio imagery. 




The next record,  'Rolling Stone' was released a couple months ago but still sounds new. This is a great acoustic track. Less is more sometimes. He metaphorically compares himself being faded to himself changing from the fame. "Till your used to my face, and my mystery fades, I got you, so baby love me, before they all love me, until you won't love me, because they all left me, I'll be different, I think I'll be different, I hope I'm not different, and I hope you'll still listen, but until then, I got you". The song Gone is a pop record on acid. "There’s enough to pass around, just break it, drop it, drink it, spill it, baby, touch your body", he sings, "I've been gone". Think Justin Timberlake on ‘Futuresex/Lovesounds.’ He then add auto tune near the fadeout, then a fade-in of drums and he’s back to singing "So I'll fuck you if you need, in your birthday suit, I'ma give you what you need"(Support your local stripper). The final song of the album entitled, 'Heaven or Las Vegas' tests one's struggle with good vs. evil. To my surprise I found one final Kanye West sample used on Thursday’. A screwed up intro of ‘Say You Will’, plays well with the song. 




I can't wait to hear more from TheWeeknd. This album is part 2 in the 3 part trilogy. Up next is “Echoes of Silence".  #nextinshow









0 comments:

Post a Comment